Translate

Thursday 7 August 2014

It's been a frantic couple of days here!  I'm glad to say that business is picking up at last, but the season has been rather strange...

We don't have years to look back over, but last season we thought we had noticed a pattern for July and August - nobody really bought any books!  This season totally opposite!  The season here for us begins in April - the 4th to be exact (my birthday) when we officially open.

Usually, we have a busy spell in April, then a quieter May with June a good time...didn't happen this year!  and it wasn't just us, all the businesses have said the same.

We talked to a friend of ours who has a shell shop in town, Monica, and she had looked at her figures for the last 14+ years, and found exactly  the same - worst months ever!  Now, whether this was because of the World Cup (in Brazil, I doubt it) or the Commonwealth Games (UK, possible) or what, I just don't know.

However, the beaches are now filled with happy tanners, and they are staying on the beaches LATE...our local lads collecting for the sunbeds and the water sports guys are actually having to hang on till 18.00 and later!  Yay for them :)

As always here, there's a lot of returning visitors who have been hooked by this island and it's people, but we are also seeing a lot of first timers.  Many have been to other islands in Greece, but have decided to try Crete this year.  Most are very surprised to find the Eastern end so much less developed and to a certain extent unspoilt...aren't we the lucky ones :)

A new friend of mine, Chris Aiano has given me some images which I'd like to share in my next few blogs.  I think they are stunning and show just how varied and wonderful this little island can be.  Most are in the Lassithi province, although not necessarily Elounda...but I love them!

The top image shows the juxtaposition between the rural and the developed here - goats on the hillside and the lovely houses and villas below, while the second image is a lovely old tree near Istron - I have to agree with Chris that the colour of the tree and the clear, blue sky is breathtaking!

anyway, I'd better get down to some work: well, I'm going to have a look at Chris' pictures actually...
Have a good one all!

No comments:

Post a Comment